I found this deed proving that Leta McIntosh Averitt, my possible 5th great-grandmother, and Lovey McIntosh Hendricks, wife of my 5th great-uncle, James Hendricks, were his daughters. This relationship makes Lovey my 6th great-aunt as well as my 5th. From Craven County Deed Book 52, pg. 253 State of North Carolina Craven Know all men by these presents that I James … [Read more...] about A Deed of Gift from James McIntosh to his Children
Deeds, Grants and Patents
Some Eastern North Carolina counties now have their deeds (or at least their deed indices) online.
- Beaufort County - Index to real estate conveyances, 1696-1959; deeds & mortgages, 1700-1960
- Carteret County (No historic deeds yet)
- Craven County - Index, Deeds, and Land Grants from 1739
- Duplin County - Deeds, Land Grants, Maps, Marriage Records, Slave Records, Co-Habitation Records
- Edgecombe County - Sign in as guest, then click on Online Index Books. That will let you search index for 1759-1920.
- Johnston County - Index, Deeds, Co-Habitation records
- Jones County (No historic deeds yet)
- Lenoir County (No historic deeds yet)
- Martin County - Index, Deeds, and Land Grants from 1771 (Index books mention date range beginning with 1762, but county wasn't formed until 1774)
- Onslow County - Index, Deeds and Land Grants from 1734
- Pitt County - Old Index Books and Deeds dating back to 1762
The following are Craven County Spear deeds(and all related spellings). This is not a comprehensive list. The following are Beaufort County JOHN SPEIR deeds. … [Read more...] about Spear, Speir, Spire, Spyers, Spears Deeds (Craven and Beaufort Counties)
I'm organizing my genealogy files for the ten millionth time. I thought since I've downloaded so many deeds from the Craven, Beaufort, and Pitt County Register of Deeds I might start posting them here, beginning with Craven County Anderson Deeds & Grants. No, I'm not transcribing all of these, and this is obviously not a comprehensive collection of deeds, but it may still … [Read more...] about Craven County Anderson Deeds & Grants
The following is a transcription of a deed conveying the land that was inherited by the children of James LEWIS to his widow, Nancy LEWIS. (Found in Beaufort County Deed Book 13, p. 303) The children are named as follows: Elisha LEWIS (married Alice BUCK; moved to Posey County, Indiana) Nathan LEWIS (married Sidney JONES; lived in Beaufort County) William LEWIS … [Read more...] about Deed naming the children of James Lewis of Beaufort County, 1824
FamilySearch has been steadily putting a ton of North Carolina records on their site that aren't yet easy to access through the normal browsing methods. (Another thanks to Becky for tipping me off about some of the great new things that have gone up over the last few months!) Anyhow, I decided to compile a list of direct links to all eastern North Carolina counties in their … [Read more...] about Did you know all of these new records were at FamilySearch? I’ve got all of the links right here!