James Cross (b. abo...

Notifications
Clear all

James Cross (b. about 1755, died 1832) and Paul Curtis (say 1810-1844)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bsumrell)
Topic starter  

I am looking for information on James Cross who wrote his will 13 Oct 1832. Wife Sally, son William, daughters Nancy, Peggy, and Patsy. Witnesses were William Pritchard and Paul Curtis. Will proven on the oath of Paul Curtis in Nov 1832. A James Cross can be found listed in census records in Beaufort County from 1800 to 1830.  From the census, I calculate that he was born in about 1755 and Sally in about 1785. More than likely, she was a second wife.  It is possible that he was the James Cross listed in Martin County in 1790 with 1 free white male of or over 16, 3 under and 1 free white female.  There is a John Cross listed just above him with 1-2-4-0-0.  In fact, I can find a James Cross in Martin County from 1779 when he appears (I think, it's hard to read) on a "return of volunteers and enlisted men."

My theory is that I descend from their daughter, Nancy. I think she married Paul Curtis about 1833. I cannot find them in the 1840 census. But, in 1850, in the household of Simon Edwards, is his wife, Nancy (b. 1817), their three children William, Marshall, and Winifred (my ancestor) as well as a Sarah Curtis aged 16 and an Elzar Curtis aged 6. And in 1860 there's a Jane Curtis, aged 19. There was a marriage, 4 Sep 1869, between Sally Edwards, daughter of Paul and Nancy Curtis, to William H. H. Norman, son of Smith and Salina Norman.

I understand that Simon Edwards left a will, about 1876, and it can only be accessed through the Clerk of Court in Washington, NC. It's on my to do list if I ever get up there.

I would appreciate any information about James Cross and/or Paul Curtis. I have found an apprentice record for Paul Curtis, aged 8, in Craven County. He was bound to Major Tingle as a bricklayer 8 Mar 1819.

(@sara)
Member Admin

I'll keep my eyes open for these names. Any idea why Simon Edwards's will is only available from the Clerk of Court? They have so many Beaufort County Probate items online now! Even my John Holmes 1872 will is available online.

ReplyQuote
(@bsumrell)
Topic starter  

I have know idea why.  I've been hoping it'll pop up somewhere.  For some reason, there are a few wills that only have the originals available and they're at the Clerk of Court's office.

ReplyQuote
Share: