Notifications
Clear all

My Edwards - Winifred Elizabeth Edwards

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@bsumrell)
Topic starter  

My 3rd great-grandmother, Winifred Elizabeth Edwards was born in the mid-1840s in Blounts Creek, Beaufort County, North Carolina to Simon Edwards (born about 1815) and Nancy Cross (born about 1817).  She had two brothers, William and Marshall, who appear from the 1850 census to have been twins and two half-sisters from her mother's first marriage to Paul Curtis:  Sarah "Sallie" Curtis and Eliza Jane Curtis.  Marshall doesn't show up on the 1860 census, so he may have died.  I cannot find this family in the 1870 census, but it is about that time that Winifred became to second wife of Gideon Watson Lewis, Sr., son of Tillman Lewis and his wife, Elizabeth.  My second great-grandfather, Joseph or Josephus Lewis, was born, according to his death certificate, 15 August 1870.  They had, altogether, seven children, though most didn't live long enough to show up on a census.  The others that did were: Carnie Bryan Lewis 31 December 1874, Sarah C. Lewis August 1879 and Gideon Watson Lewis, Jr., July 1881.

I think that Simon was the son of whichever Edwards was married to Winifred Searles, daughter of Coventon and Dorcas Searles.  I've gone with Samuel Edwards, son of Walker Edwards, Sr. and Lydia, mostly because he also had a daughter named Winifred.  Samuel was born in about 1784.  Walker Edwards, Sr. was born in about 1740 and died in 1805.  He mentions eleven children, six of them male, in his will.  Plus, I'm pretty sure he had at least four brothers, including Sara's Isaac, Sr.  As you can see, the Blount's Creek Edwards were legion!  Also, there is an Edwards family in early Pitt County and Edgecombe County that used a lot of the same names (i.e. Simon and Britain) that I think is related to the Blounts Creek family.  How, I don't know.

Share: