Notifications
Clear all

Edward Gatlin of Neuse River, in the County of Bath

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@bsumrell)
Topic starter  

Let me begin by saying, first, that there is no actual proof in any original document that I've been able to find that Edward Gatlin was ever in Virginia or that directly connects him to the Virginia Gatlins and, second, that my Gatlin genealogy is not conventional. In more conventional genealogies, Edward is considered to have been the son of William and to have been born in about 1670. However, with the dates I've calculated, this would be impossible. In my view, the ancestor of the Neuse River Gatlins, Edward, was born sometime in the early 1650s in Isle of Wight County, Virginia, son of John the Immigrant (born about 1615). He had at least one brother, William (born about 1640). It’s possible he had another brother named John, but I’m on the fence about that right now.

Elizabeth, wife of Edward Gatlin, would, have been born within a few years either side of 1655. She and Edward probably married in about 1670, most likely in either Isle of Wight or Nansemond County, Virginia. Their only know child, John, was born sometime around 1675, possibly in Nansemond County, Virginia. By about 1700, Edward and, presumably, Elizabeth were living in Bath County, North Carolina. On 22 November 1701, an inventory was taken of the estate of Richard Collins. At that time, or thereabouts, was also taken an "Account of Debts" which included one to Edward Gantling for 5 shillings for a pair of shoes.

Edward Ganeling laid 3 headrights (i.e. William Butcher, Henry Spring, and John Barnett) 8 October 1702 upon an entry made the previous 18 February (Beaufort County Deed Book 1, page 31). All later evidence suggests that their home lay in what is now Pamlico County, somewhere close to what was then known as Powell’s Creek, later Farnifold Green’s Creek. There was a small creek in the area known as Gatlin’ Creek as early as 1716. Whether this is the same as modern Gatlin Creek I don’t know. It’s located between Dawson’s Creek and Wilkison’s Point.

On 29 February 1704 Edward Gatlin was among those in Pamlico to sign a petition for protection against Indians. Apparently, relations between the mighty Tuscarora and the local Bear River tribe were becoming, from the point of view of the colonists, a little too friendly for comfort (Source: The North Carolina Historical and Genealogical Register by J. R. B. Hathaway, Volume 2, page 194).

Sometime in 1707, Farnifold Green was issued a grant of 640 acres of land “at green point in Powells creek in Neuse….” In the description is mentioned “Gatlins line” (Source: North Carolina Land Grant Images and Data, Book 1, page 164, #126). Does this refer to the 1702 warrant? I don’t know!

In 1706 and 1709, Edward signed petitions requesting that a Court be held in New Bern. One of these is described in the July 1945 issue of The North Carolina Historical Review, page 294.

Edward witnessed the will of Ann Smithwick, stepdaughter of Farnifold Green, 5 November 1711. I found a record in Craven County Court minutes that's very difficult to read. It's placement is before Ms. Smithwick's will is proven. It involves Captain William Handcock, Jr. and some sails and rigging. I think he's petitioning for an appraisal of some sort. Anyway, there's something in there about Captain Richard Graves and Edward Gattling.

Before all of this, the Tuscarara War ignited 22 September 1711. On 12 February 1712, the colonists of Neuse sent a petition to Alexander Spotswood, Governor of Virginia begging him "with one voyse," to "send to our Relief Sum Considerable forse of men armes and ammunition...." Among the signers of this petition, second page, is Ed. Gattling and, possibly, John Gattling. Between them is Titus Green, brother of Farnifold (Source: Petition of inhabitants of Neuse River, North Carolina, 1711/1712 Feb. 12.) The Governor's Council of Virginia's response? To send their southern neighbors a copy of the treaty with the Tuscarora that would, of course, soon take effect and relieve the colonists without any aid from them.

Help, when it came, arrived from South Carolina. Not that our ancestors here seemed to appreciate it given the level of acrimony aimed at John Barnwell. To make matters worse, there was yellow fever killing people left and right, including Deputy-Governor Edward Hyde (8 September 1712) and a hit from a major hurricane (16 and 17 September 1713). The war didn't end until 11 February 1715, with, yet, more help from South Carolina, this time under James Moore.

In 1714, Edward Gattling received a pension for service during the war with the Tuscarora. He also paid taxes in Craven Precinct in that year. He was also taxed in 1715 (land), 1716 (land) and 1718 (land and poll). I haven't actually lain eyes on these tax lists, my source is the Early Settlers of Craven County search at the New Bern Craven County Library website.

Edward Gatling came into Court and acknowledged a deed whereby he conveyed 300 acres of Land to Thomas Plunket, 21 April 1716 (Craven County Deed Book 2, p. 633) in Craven Precinct. On that same day, his wife, Elizabeth, appeared before the Court and relinquished her right of dower. Plunket was issued a grant of 300 acres north of the Neuse River, on the head of Gattlin’s Creek 25 July (North Carolina Land Grant Images and Data, Book 2, page 354, #608).

At a Council held at Sandy Point, Chowan Precinct, 31 July 1718 (Colonial Records of North Carolina, Volume 2, p. 309), the Provost Marshall of Albemarle County was ordered to send about 150 bushells of grain to Captain Gatling "at Nuse."

In 1719, Capt. Ed. Gatlin is listed on a "True List off Tythables and also ye Rent Roull" in Craven Precinct with 3 tithables and 250 acres of land. Also, on 31 October 1719, he recieved 5 shillings from Richard Graves for killing a panther.

On 30 March 1721, Edward Gatlin was issued a patent (North Carolina Land Grant Images and Data, Book 2, page 295, #491) for 500 acres on the north side of the Neuse River, beginning at Neach's heirs' corner tree on the north side of the river. The description also mentions Farnifold Green's corner. I have no idea who Neach was.

The Provost Marshal of Bath County was ordered, 12 May 1722, to summon Captain Edward Gattlin, among others, “to appear in the Court of Common Pleas to be held at Edenton on Queen Annes Creek in July next to testify in the suit of John Fomvile administrator of Peter Fomville dec’d against Joseph Fulford.”

On 23 November 1723, Edward “Garling” appears as number 33 on the list of Jurymen of Craven Precinct (The Colonial Records of North Carolina, Volume 25, page 190) and Edward Gatling was among those ordered to be issued a “Commission of the Peace” in Craven Precinct 9 April 1724 (The Colonial Records of North Carolina, Volume 2, page 526).

Edward wrote his will 3 January 1726. In it, he leaves Elizabeth four horses, “one negro man named Joab during her naturall life,” two feather beds and their furniture, half his household goods, half his sheep, all of his cattle carrying his “proper mark,” and “Oliver Rustell my orphane boy.” She also received “halfe my plantation and my…house during her widdowhood.” On the day she remarries, if she does, the plantation and house are to revert to John entirely. John was left, among other things, "one negro man named Tom," "all my Cooper's tooles," 2 feather beds, 3 mares with their colts and 2 other horses. Elizabeth and John qualified as Executrix and Executor of the will 15 March 1726. I don't know how much longer Elizabeth lived after that.

Share: