Notifications
Clear all

My King Line

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
(@bsumrell)
Topic starter  

My great-grandfather was John Hilliard King.  He was born 11 March 1883 in Pamlico County to Thomas J. King and Nancy Ann Martin (daughter of David Martin and Arette Trewhitt) and died 26 May 1924 of apoplexy in Lenoir County.  He married my great-grandmother, Daphne Gertrude Gatlin, 17 July 1915 in Lenoir County.  They had at least three children:  Johnie Lewis King, Robert Cephas King, and Blanche Mae King.  John died .  Grandma Gertrude went two marry two more times to John Webster Letchworth then to Tillman Farrow Flowers.

Thomas J. King was born in about 1849 in Craven County, to Edward J. King and Tabitha Everington (daughter of Hilliard Everington and Hannah Gaskins).  He and Nancy Ann Martin married 6 November 1870.   Thomas died at some point before 22 November 1893 when Nancy married John B. Hall, who was Thomas's uncle by marriage.  Mr. Hall's second wife was Julia Everington Lewis sister of Tabitha.

Edward J. King died in late 1850 and Tabitha married John F. Vendrick 24 November 1852.  He and Tabitha married 4 September 1843.  Edward was the son of Thomas King and, I think, Sidney Lawson.  John Vendrick and Tabitha had one child that I know of, Julia.  She married John Micajah Sawyer 10 January 1882.  Sawyer remarried in about 1887.

Thomas King was born, I think, in about 1785.  If he is the Thomas King to marry Sidney Lawson, that happened 10 September 1817.  There was actually a previous bond for their marriage dated 24 March 1814.  I'd love to know why the engagement was broken!  Thomas wrote his will 29 September 1831.  It does not mention a wife, so, whoever she was, she predeceased him.  In the will, he mentions children Edward J. King, Fanny King, Polly King, and Asenath King.  He died before 21 May 1835 when the will was probated.

All of that I can prove.  This next bit is more conjectural.  I believe that this Thomas was the son of another Thomas King who died in before 2 October 1801 and Little Little.  They married 2 April 1781.  Little wrote a will, dated 7 November 1803.  She mentions sons Thomas and John and daughters Pheraby and Sarah.  Pheraby married William Broughton and Sarah married John Broughton.  Asenath King married William W. Broughton.

I am aware Jeremiah King had a son named Thomas but I don't know if he's the one who married Little Little.

(@sara)
Member Admin

I've spent a crazy amount of time researching the KING family because John KING (husband of Winifred KEMP) was a bondsman for my 4th great-grandfather and biggest brick wall ancestor, Laban MORRIS's wedding bond. I've saved all kinds of KINGs in my tree and I have all of the ones you're talking about, but like you, I don't have strong connections between some of the specific ones you're questioning. I have Little LITTLE in my tree and that she married Thomas KING and they had a son named Thomas, but I don't have anything about who his father was.

I also have a Jeremiah KING (d. 1793), which I presume is the one you're talking about, and he had the following children...

With the first wife of Jeremiah KING:

• Nancy "Ann" KING
    1764–
  • Edward KING
  • James KING
  • Sealah KING

With Mary (LNU) (2nd wife of Jeremiah)

• David King (abt 1770–?)
  • Thomas King (abt 1772–?)
  • Susannah King
  • Allen King

The reason I have the children grouped with the wives like this is because he gives things in the first part of the will to the last four children and his wife, Mary, and expects them to divide some things equally, whereas the other children mentioned only get a shilling each, and maybe a horse, which makes me think they've already received their land, plus the daughter Ann was married in the estate documents to William HOLLINSED. (m. 1786)

I think this may be the only original thing I can share to this thread, but it's what I have. 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@bsumrell)
Topic starter  

Okay, I can say with certainty that Thomas King, son of Jeremiah, was NOT the same person as the Thomas King (d. 1801) to marry Little Little (d. 1804).  Thomas King and George Holton purchased a bond for Thomas to marry Little 2 Apr 1781.  Whereas the Court appoint Stephen Harris as guardian of Thomas, Allen and Susannah King, orphans of Jeremiah King 15 Dec 1795.

So, I still don't know anything about the parentage of my Thomas.  Little, however, I believe was the daughter of Thomas Little (d. 1762) and Sarah.  From Thomas Little's will, I know that he and Sarah had two daughters, Mary and Elizabeth, and another child on the way.  I believe Little to have been that child.  Sarah was the widow of William Whitty when she married Thomas.  William died in 1757.

Another William Whitty (d. 1815), who may have been their son, was appointed guardian to the minor orphans of Thomas and Little King 11 Jun 1804:  Thomas (d. 1835), Sarah and John.

ReplyQuote
(@bsumrell)
Topic starter  

Found an interesting deed, Craven County Deed Book 28, pg. 370, dated 13 Feb 1785, wherein Thomas King, Joseph King, William King and Sophia Cuthrell sell to Arrington King 200 acres on north side of Neuse River & west side of Goose Creek for £60.  This land was patented to John King 27 Oct 1784 (entered 21 Jun 1780).  John died in 1784 and Arrington was the administrator of his Estate.  I'm wondering if all of these people were sibling? 

I believe that the John and William King reference here married Mills and Mary Tingle, respectively, daughters of Solomon Tingle.

There's also some connection here to James Whiting who died in 1782.  In his will, he leaves pretty much everything to these Kings.  Whiting seems to have been interchangeable with Whitty.

Any thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Share: