I was invited to give a presentation to the Craven County Genealogical Society about how to get more out of your Ancestry DNA, FamilyTreeDNA or any DNA results with some very useful tools, as well as some bonus content about how to find what you seek in the unindexed records at FamilySearch.org. The video and timestamps to different topics that were covered are below.
This was a nearly 2-hour presentation.
Presentation Video Timestamps
- Testing Options: Which companies are most popular
- Which tests are available and who can or should take them
- Why ethnicity results can be misleading
- Introduction to Useful Tools for Autosomal DNA results
- How to use DNA Painter’s Chromosome Map tool
- How to download data from Ancestry DNA to use on Gedmatch
- How to use One to One Autosomal DNA Comparison tool on Gedmatch to get shared segment information for DNA Painter
- How Y-DNA can be more useful than Autosomal DNA when it comes to very distant matches
- How to use the Shared cM tool at Gedmatch to figure out most likely relationship based on amount of shared DNA
- Dangers and Advantages of AncestryDNA Thrulines
- One way to determine if an AncestryDNA Thruline match is valid
- Why do AncestryDNA Thruline matches sometimes disappear as children from suggested or known ancestors?
- How you can use a SPECULATIVE graphic to warn others that a connection you’ve made in your Ancestry tree may not be correct
- Using color coding on AncestryDNA matches
- More about using SPECULATIVE graphic and comments on your Ancestry tree to let people know that someone you put in your tree may not be the right ancestor
- BONUS CONTENT: How to find unindexed content on FamilySearch
Shared cM tool
Chromosome Map tool
WATO (What are the Odds?) tool
Free and Subscription tools that offer a variety of options for doing more with your DNA. Also very helpful for putting DNA and GEDCOM in a shared database. AncestryDNA doesn’t let you see shared DNA segment data, but you can download your AncestryDNA kit and upload it to GEDMATCH to work with your matches like you would on FTDNA.
- Download SPECULATIVE ANCESTOR graphics here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1qqGDLE_kbLiyotKNzdNTvNn3sJ0uws_l?usp=sharing
- Quick Links to Eastern North Carolina county records on FamilySearch
- DNAFamilyTrees video about How to use WATO (What are the Odds?) tool at DNAPainter
- BlaineBettinger video about How to use DNAPainter’s Chromosome Map tool
Family History Fanatics has several great videos on using all kinds of DNA tools